This recipe is not only WFPB (Whole Food Plant-Based), it is also vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free and oil-free. Yes, it checks ALL the boxes!
We’re also going to use the PIP (Pot-in-Pot) method to make this breakfast staple. That makes for easy clean up of your Instant Pot. When cooking is complete, the inner liner of your Instant Pot is only going to need a quick rinse and dry.
Now, let’s get on to the ingredients and the method.
Oh, and don’t worry about copying down all the ingredients shown here. There’s a complete, printable recipe below.
With the pot-in-pot method, we’re going to start by putting a cup of water and a trivet in the inner liner of our Instant Pot (2 cups of water if you’re using an 8-quart Instant Pot – the instruction in this recipe are for a 6-quart). Note: the amount of water in the Instant Pot liner is the ONLY thing that will change in these instructions if you’re using an 8-quart. Everything else will remain the same.
Start by putting the water (1 cup for a 6-quart, 2 cups for an 8-quart), in the inner liner of the Instant Pot and then place the trivet in there, too.
Important Note: Always be sure that the bowl you use for the oatmeal leaves enough room between the edge of the bowl and the wall of the inner liner. The steam needs to be able to circulate so you can build pressure.
In this recipe, we chose a stainless steel bowl. You could also use or glass, however, be very careful with your choices as not all glass or ceramic containers will be suitable.
Next, place all of the ingredients in the bowl you’re using and give them a good stir.
Because the bowl we’re using is a snug fit (but not too snug), we created a foil sling to make it easier to place and bowl in the inner liner and, more importantly, to make it easier to remove when it’s hot.
The foil sling is a length of aluminum foil, folded length-wise (first fold the out edges to meet in the middle and then fold that in half), to create a sturdy sling.
Now, carefully place the bowl on the trivet, ensuring the sling is well-positioned under the bowl.
Fold the ends of the sling over slightly, place the inner liner into the base of your Instant Pot, then close and lock the lid, ensuring that the Pressure Valve is in the Sealing position.
Select the Pressure Cook button (may be labeled as Manual on some Instant Pots) and set the cooking time for 4 minutes.
Once cooking time is complete, do a Quick Release (QR) by carefully turning the Pressure Valve from Sealing to Venting. Be careful as this will release a lot of steam through the Pressure Valve.
Suggestion: Be sure the Instant Pot is turned so that the steam won’t release directly under kitchen cabinets but, rather, into the room.
Once all the pressure has been released, and the Float Valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid and then transfer the inner liner of your Instant Pot to a heatproof surface.
Then, using the foil sling, carefully transfer the cooked oatmeal to a heatproof surface.
Give the oatmeal a good stir and serve hot for breakfast or refrigerate for later use. It makes a great dessert served cold!
Tutti Frutti Oatmeal in an Instant Pot Using the Pot-in-Pot Method
- Pressure Cooker
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated apple chunks
- 6 dates pitted and chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl and add 1 cup of water and trivet to the inner liner of a 6-quart Instant Pot. Note: Use 2 cups of water in the inner liner of an 8-quart Instant Pot.
- Close and lock the lid ensuring that the Pressure Valve is in the Sealing position, select the Pressure Cook (or Manual) button and set the cooking time for 4 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, carefully turn the Pressure Valve from Sealing to Venting. When all of the pressure has been released, and the Float Valve has dropped, carefully transfer the inner liner to a heatproof surface.
- Using the sling, carefully remove the bowl containing the cooked oatmeal to a heatproof surface.
- Stir well and serve. Or, refrigerate for later use.
Leave a Reply